Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Finding Christmas

December 19, 2007 ...it's late at night.

I’m still working on Christmas, I’ve been working for over a month, and I still don’t feel as though I have done enough. Will each child know how much I love them? Will each person on my list accept my gift as a token of my high esteem for them? Will I disappoint them with my choices? Have I touched enough people?

Tonight, I wept because I really miss Christmas. I miss everyone saying, “Merry Christmas!” as I walk through the shopping centers. I miss Christmas carols playing in every store and on every radio station. I miss the feeling of excitement that something special is coming. I miss the smells of pine and cinnamon. I miss my Daddy’s joy. I don't think I have seen one "Babe in a Manger"! Obviously, I've been going to the wrong places! (The disappointing Internet, for instance.)

Oh, I guess it’s the children that make Christmas exciting, and when that special day arrives and you all come walking in my door, I’ll find what I am missing. As for my inadequate gifts…I thought of the one perfect gift, the one that God gave to man. He gave all he had, and even then, some reject the priceless gift of love. I too want to follow the example, I want to give the perfect gift of love…

With each gift I wrapped, I filled the package with all the love that I had. I dwelled on each person, their personalities, their accomplishments, their sweet spirits and I prayed for you as I decorated your package carefully, with beautiful paper and ribbon. I have given you my best because I love you so much. You are my gift from God and I cherish you and pray that you have all the blessings that come with Christmas.

Now, he lies in his manger,
Speaking with infant lips,
Calling to all, to you and me,
"Whatever troubles you,
whatever you lack -
Release it, dear brother:
In your Creator's fullness,
I bring everything new again."

There, I feel better and the manger was here, in this house, all along.

3 comments:

juju said...

So many heart felt feelings at Christmas. From JOY to Sadness. Thanks for sharing your heart. Glad you found the manger.

Queenie said...

What a busy wonderful season.
I am enjoying every moment of it,
even with shortness of breath.
I guess it just takes my breath
away.
Good thoughts. I got a gift today,
a book titled G. I. Joe and Lilly
The giver said she read in one
night and could not lay it down.Said it was the love story
that reminded her of Leonard and
I. I will read tonight.
I went out and bought it for
Waltyne. Certainly Jim being a G.I.
it will apply to them.
We will certainly have lots of
tears running.
Merry Christmas to all and to all
a good-night.

Family said...

You precious lady. Thank you for your gift of love.
bo