Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sisters






My cousin Susan and her husband Mike, lovingly took my Aunt Dot (Susan's mom) and my mother, Gwen (Dot's sister) on a five day vacation to Charleston, SC. They did a similar vacation last year, with much success and are already planning next year's adventure. They drive, eat in wonderful restaurants, stay in a nice hotel, look at the area sights and do a little shopping as well. This year they even had a overnight stay with cousin Bob, in Conyers, on the way down.

Mike and Susan do this with the kindness, care and generosity of those who are younger, more agile, and better suited for baggage toting, and long hours of safe driving.
I was lucky enough to have them for dinner and a sleep-over on their way back to Tennessee.

After a delightful evening, Susan and I tucked our precious mothers in, joined hands and hearts together and prayed together before going off to bed ourselves...What a sweet moment. I shall never forget the circle of heart-felt prayers and the feel of soft, familiar hands in mine.

(I wonder if my sister will sleep with me when I'm over 80! I thank these two for pretending they were asleep so they could get rid of us and talk with each other late into the night...Gave me something to look forward to!)

Sisters...it's a beautiful thing.



Nana, Dot and Polly, Phyllis and Geraldine, and Judy and Merry, Kim, Kate,Kristin and Bethann, Natali and Alla, Molly, Marie, Sarah and Julie...goodness, who am I leaving out? Not many sisters in the immediate family! We are so luck to have each other. I thank God every day for mine. She has become even more important to me since I have only the memory of another. I always look forward to time spent together (even if she is cleaning my teeth!) as well as our Friday morning telephone conversation. No one knows me better.

So this blog is a tribute to Sisters and to the people who love them.





Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

juju said...

What a sweet blog--They look like angels all tucked in and asleep--Where is their gray hair? I love being your sister! Abby needs a sister!

Queenie said...

Thanks for this beautiful time
together and what a beautiful dinner. Spending moments with Kim
and playing a little with Will.
Will talked about his Mom, Dad,
Sissy, Bubba, Andrew, then he said
"Actually Bubba is Andrew." A sweet
post with my sister and I am sure
your sister will sleep with you when you are 81 and she is 80.
We got to the Boro about 2:15 and
I had to wash my hair and get ready for 5:00 to leave for dinner
and the Symphony at Schermerhorn
Symphony Center. It was the new
2 1/2 million Organ Gala Celebration. There are 3,568 total
pipes ranging from 32 feet to
2/3 inch. It is a perfect beauty.
The concert was grand. I told
Kenneth if I got a chance to come
back I was coming as the First
Violinist.I would have a long black dress and black high heels.
I am off to bed. I love your blog.

Queenie said...

I am so looking for blogging from
Evelyn's kitchen!
Kate---------teach Evelyn how to
cook. ? ?
Teach her how to feed the five
thousands, teach her how to prepare ahead of time. Teach her
how to make good cornbread, teach
her how to make dozens of pound
cakes and give one to every one
who enters her door. She has three
stoves in her kitchen, please
teach her how to make do with one.
Only person I ever knew who walks
herself from place to place in her
wheelchair and cans beans in a
pressure cooker, and uses three
stoves to keep up her cooking.
Love to Evelyn and Gene.
Mom